A Motivator For My PhD Journey: Attending The Graduation Day

The Graduation Day at the University of Otago is an eventful day filled with three main events; a brunch, a procession and a ceremony. Although it was not my graduation yet, I was pleased to attend the August Graduation Day with my friends. For me, it was not only to congratulate our friend’s success but it was a sociable and inspirational gathering.

We were there to congratulate Alfie, or to be precise Dr Althea Blakey, on her graduation. For some of us, PhD candidates, it was an inspiration to see our fellow ‘comrade’ who had made it to the finishing line. Alfie is certainly a positive role model. She managed to complete her thesis while juggling between work and family. Alfie, and many other PhD graduands proved that perseveration would bring us light at the end of our PhD tunnel.



The graduation’s brunch session allowed us to mix and mingle. Held at the Central Library, guests were invited to attend the meaningful day and congratulate the success of graduands. The session provided guests with hot drinks and cold juices, and also a selection of various tasty finger food served by a number of friendly waiters and waitresses. We enjoyed the food while mingling with our professors, lecturers and peers. Dressed in their regalia, I had the opportunity to take a picture with my supervisors, Prof Tony Harland and Dr Ben Daniel. 



As with many memorable events in our life, we would want our family to share our happiness and success. Alfie’s family were also there in support of her success and excitement. She acknowledged her family’s contribution in giving her the drive to complete her doctoral degree.

After the brunch, there was a procession. This tradition signifies that Dunedin is indeed a university town. Led by drummers and bagpipers, the procession began at the Dental School and ended at the Dunedin Town Hall. As graduands paraded down George Street, their family and friends would proudly cheer for them, acknowledging their academic success.



Finally, at the graduation ceremony, the Chancellor conferred the degree to graduands. At the University of Otago, the conferment of degree is different whereby instead of scrolls, a special trencher is put on each graduand’s head. I think the ceremony is a unique way of indicating how an individual’s mind has developed from their time in higher education.



Each time I attend a graduation, I felt happy for the accomplishment of graduands. They gave me a positive perspective that with determination, I could carry through my PhD journey too.




This post is published on i-studentglobal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear PTPTN, PhD does not pay me a salary

My first international conference experience: the 2017 Global Studies Research Conference

How to Get Academic Conference Work for a Student? (Part I)